The Robinson Institute, Presented to the People of Glaisdale by the late Thos Robinson Esq JP (The Gables) to Commemorate the Coronation of King George V 1911.
(The inscription above the main entrance.)
The land and money was gifted to Glaisdale by Thomas Alexander Robinson of Ferriby in 1913 to build a Reading Room and Library and to be called the Institute.
The Institute was build to celebrate the Coronation of King George V in 1911. The Robinsons had a very large house (residence) in Glaisdale but were very successful business people in Hull. Importing eggs from Poland was one of their projects.
Until 1958 there was a full size billiard table in the main room and the billiard team were very successful in the Esk Valley league. There was also a small learner table in a small committee room. For concerts a portable stage was build over the billiard table.
The kitchen was in the cellar until 1958 when the billiard table was sold. The present permanent stage was built where the table had been. A small extension to the committee room was incorporated to make the kitchen.
For a number of years the trustees and committee looked at the various options to modernise and provide for the disabled. Funding for the project resulted in a Lottery Fund Grant of £332,000 in September 2003 to build an extended store room and completely refurbish the Kitchen, toilets and re-roof. This work was done during the summer / autumn of 2004, reopening to the public in January 2005 and at the Official re-opening event, a great, great grandson of the original benefactor, also called Robinson was able to attend.
There are some current trustees / committee member whose forbears were among the first trustees.
(Thank you T. Lister for providing this information.)
Last Updated: Fri, Sep 17, 2010